Last month, iKeepSafe, a 501 (c)(3) non-profit, recognized ClassFlow for its compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Student Online Personal Information Protection Act (SOPIPA).
As a ClassFlow user, you’re probably wondering what is FERPA and SOPIPA and how does that impact you and your students. Below, are four key takeaways on how this recent development impacts ClassFlow users:
1. Who is iKeepSafe?
According to iKeepSafe, their mission is to provide a safe digital landscape for children, schools, and families by supporting the protection of student privacy, while advancing learning in digital culture. To do this, iKeepSafe provides data privacy certifications to technology companies, education resources to schools, and information to the community.
2. What is FERPA and SOPIPA?
According to the U.S. Department of Education, FERPA is a federal privacy law that gives parents certain protections regarding their children’s education records. To protect student privacy, the law requires schools ask for written consent before disclosing your student’s personally identifiable information to individuals other than the parent.
SOPIPA is a California Privacy Act and applies to websites, applications, and online services that is used by K-12 schools. Under SOPIPA, companies can’t:
- Engage is target advertising on the platform being used by K-12 schools
- Conduct target advertising elsewhere using information collected or created from the platform
- Use information created or gathered from the website to create a profile about a student, other than in furtherance of K-12 school purposes
- Sell information collected or created
- Disclose information
3. What is the Certification Process?
Products go through an assessment to receive iKeepSafe’s certifications. The full assessment includes a manual assessment, technical assessment, and product compliance.
- Manual Assessment: The first step in the assessment is for companies to provide iKeepSafe’s assessors with access to product and send documentation, including data questionnaires, privacy policies, sample contracts, and test logins.
- Technical Assessment: Following the manual assessment, iKeepSafe uses a series of proxy and web traffic analysis tools to reveal whether any third parties receive data from the product.
- Product Compliance: During the phase, the company will need to resolve any privacy or security gaps based on the outcomes of the manual and technical assessments.
Once a product has completed the full assessment, iKeepSafe will award privacy badges to signify their compliance with relevant law and regulations.
4. What does this Mean for ClassFlow Users?
As a ClassFlow user, what does this mean for you? We’re committed to safeguarding students in every way, especially when it comes to personal information. iKeepSafe’s awards privacy certifications to companies that meet its privacy assessment guidelines. By earning FERPA and SOPIPA, ClassFlow users can feel assured that the lesson delivery platform meets iKeepSafe’s quality standard of data privacy protection.
For more detail on ClassFlow earning iKeepSafe’s privacy certifications, click here.